FOOD SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Food Science and Technology was established in 2014 at Muhammad Nawaz Shareef University of Agriculture, Multan. Keeping in view the current scenario of the world and our own country for food safety and food security, the department is aimed to produce well trained human resource for the emerging needs of the food industry. The major focus of the department is utilization of basic principles of food science and technology for processing and preservation of food commodities to meet the challenges of massive population and fastest growing food industry in the country. South Punjab is the hub for agricultural produce and a lot of food industries are installed here to enhance the quality of food products and there is a great demand of food technology graduates to cope the needs of the area in terms of industry and academia. The present faculty is practically involved in the capacity building of the students through effective teaching and training programs. Malnutrition and unavailability of safe food is the major issues of the South Punjab community. These issues have been taken up as challenge by the department and it started taking initiatives to cater the society through public awareness and developing new food products. In this perspective, the department is aiming to provide all possible facilities in collaboration with different food industries and other neighboring institutes to train the graduates with skills and futuristic vision. The major areas of research are mentioned below:
- Food Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Food safety and quality assurance
- Development of new innovative food products using indigenous sources
- Role of plant bioactive moieties against lifestyle related disorders
Department’s mission is to equip and prepare young minds for meeting challenges of global food safety and food security situations. Provision of healthy, friendly, safe and educational environment for students is the main edge of the Department of Food Science and Technology.
Our aim is to enhance the learning capabilities of our graduates through regular practical classes and internship training programs. This vision is pursued under/in equivalence with the core values of the university i.e. integrity, excellence, teamwork, discipline and dedication to work.
- To develop quality and competitive human resource to cater modern challenges in food science and technology.
- Development of novel techniques of food processing and preservation to handle the agricultural outputs of the area for end use.
- To establish a strong link with industry, academia and research to flourish food science and technology in the region.
- To provide skillful manpower to cope the challenges of food safety and food security issues.
- To disseminate the updated knowledge through outreach activities to improve health and nutritional status of the community